my favorite albums 2009Posted: December 22, 2009
The end of the year is creeping up on us all, so I thought that I’d take a little time and share my ten favorite albums of 2009. I think that this year was a particularly good year for me with music – Neko Case had a new album out and I found some new bands that I really fell in love with. (These aren’t really in any particular order, although Neko Case’s album was my favorite of this year).
1. Neko Case – Middle Cyclone – Neko Case has long been a favorite of mine, and this was the first album she had released since I had started listening to her. The buzz around it was exciting to follow and listen to her interviews while making the album. Although probably not my favorite album of hers writing wise, it is definitely the most interesting for me to listen to. Favorite track: Middle Cyclone
2. The Dodos – Time to Die – The Dodos were a band introduced to me through my ex-boyfriend. Once I started raving about them, it turns out that some of my friends already knew about them – including my friend who went to school with one of the musicians in the band! Steph and I did a band poster for the Dodos (which I have neglected to post). Favorite track: Fables
3. Bowerbirds – Upper Air – Also a new band, but one that I have quickly fallen in love with. I really enjoy their whole package – sweet lyrics with a certain amount of quiet and introspect to them. Favorite track: Northern Lights
4. Wilco – Wilco (the album) – Before this album, I had never really listened to Wilco. I had heard so many great things about them, but never gave it a listen. I finally got around to listening to this album and don’t regret it. Favorite track: You and I
5. Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion – The art school kid in me (and the Baltimorean) started listening to Animal Collective a couple of years ago. This album was a real refinement to what they had been doing previously, which I think turned some listeners off (like their tendency to scream). Favorite track: Summertime Clothes
6. Passion Pit – Manners – I avoided Passion Pit for a long time this year, even though I liked every single that I heard. After finally getting the album, I wondered what took me so long! This album is the perfect album for a party. Sleepyhead is one of my jams of the year. What a fun album. Favorite track: Sleepyhead
7. Lady Gaga – Fame Monster – If you’ve read this blog from the beginning, you know I’m not shy about my love for Lady Gaga. I think she is so interesting and such a well-informed pop artist. This album is another feel-good album for me. Favorite track: Telephone (feat. Beyonce)
8. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix – Another band I sort of avoided for quite some time. My roommate and other friends were really into them, but somehow I just didn’t see it. It took a few singles to get me listening to the entire album but eventually it found its place with me. Favorite track: Rome
9. St. Vincent – Actor – Also known as Annie Clark, I instantly fell in love with her beautiful voice and experimentation on this album. It’s no surprise that I became fond of her – she’s worked with Sufjan Stevens. Favorite track: Actor Out of Work
10. Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca – I saw the Dirty Projectors this fall in concert, which was a lot of fun. I love the use of the voice as an instrument, and how it’s projected on this album. Favorite track: Stillness is the Move
What am I missing? Is there something I should have listened to?